Sunday, October 31, 2010

What a weekend!

I'm writing this feeling pretty exhausted but totally content after a great weekend.

A quick word about treatment...we restarted both the radiotherapy and chemotherapy again on Wednesday, and although it's just the beginning, I am feeling a little more tired during the day. Afternoon naps have increased from around 30 mins to an hour - oh well! The good news is that, so far, they have not made me feel nauseous or ill in any other way.

On Saturday morning, Anna got up ridiculously early and went off to run her second half-marathon - the Halloween Monster Dash (hence the costume). Her Dad, the boys, and I followed on later and found a spot to watch her come past at nine miles and then take a short walk to watch her cross the finish line.

As many of you know, Anna was collecting sponsorship for the American Brain Tumor Association, and as I write, has raised over $2,500, which I think is truly amazing. I know it put an extra little kick in her stride too! From both of us, a sincere and heartfelt 'THANK YOU' for your support.

Here's my favourite photograph of Anna, looking very relaxed and happy, as she ran past us...


After lunch and a short nap, we took Patrick, six of his friends, and Richard to 'Grand Slam' (laser-tag, bumper cars, and other amusements) for his birthday party. Although we didn't see much of them, it was great to see their happy little faces running between activities. Patrick truly has a wonderful group of friends. We were proud to host a party of such well behaved, good mannered children. Patrick really knows how to pick the good ones! (This will come as no great surprise, but Richard more than held his own with the 'big kids' too).


A week or so ago, Patrick announced (as your average 9-year old does?!) that "for my birthday brunch, I'd like to go to Fletcher's" (a nearby lakeside restaurant). Admittedly, it does serve a great brunch, but y'know!
Our good friend, Daniel, came along, and helped us get Patrick's birthday off to a great start.


After some relaxing and time for Patrick to enjoy his new gifts, Anna, Henry, and the boys went out trick or treating with our neighbours. (I stayed home to scare off the local kids with my scar!)


All in all, lots of precious moments. (Oh, and Newcastle's 5-1 win over Sunderland didn't hurt either. For local friends that's like the Vikings beating the Packers 46-3!!)
Until next time.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good weekend

    Belated birthday greeting to my namesake

    I was up near Congleton at the weekend visiting The Sandhole Oak Barn (http://www.sandholeoakbarn.co.uk/), the venue for Cara's wedding (October 22nd 2011, but everything has to be organised you know), for some food tasting - and very nice it was too (along with the price!!)

    You are lucky you have two boys and won't have to worry about such things as we blokes have little or no say in anything wedding related.

    Re your 5-1 win it is a shame Andy Carroll didn't get the hattrick as I have him in my Fantasy Team and could do with the points

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to hear you had such a great weekend.Anna did really well in the monster marathon. Tell her we are all very proud of her. Belated birthday greetings to Patrick by the way.
    We had a big wedding on Friday, as you know, and tell Henry we all missed him but that everything went well, even in his absence. You seem to be coping very well with everything, Barry and we wish you every success. Hugh and Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me and I don't know you - but I feel I do now. Your father-in-law is a close friend of mine, and has kindly included me in all of this. I would like to say that reading your blogs is something which brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye every time, and you are one exceptional guy, with one exceptional family.
    Keep it up mate, you're doing fine, and well done Anna with the race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. I believe, from talking to Henry, that it's Linda - please feel free to keep writing. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog - I actually find writing it quite therapeutic.
    Thanks again and warm regards
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who said dat?

    (It helps me a lot, if you don't have a google account, if you sign your name, otherwise everyone appears as Anonymous - thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello, i am glad that you are doing fine. i am always looking forward to your writing every week. you have an amazing family and my life gets enriched by reading your blog. many things to tell you, we have to see each other soon. keep smiling and writing. GN

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barry,
    I got the link to your bloq from Carol. Nice to read and to see what you are doing. Really tough times you and your family are going through. Still i notice that you are optimistic as always. I hope you are doing well. Cheers, Berry Dekker

    ReplyDelete