Friday, November 5, 2010

TED talk

As many of you know, I'm a huge fan of TED.com (a free online database of video talks, normally 5-15 minutes each, on a wide variety of subjects). I was mooching around on there last night and, after watching a couple of fascinating talks, I stumbled across this one...

Stacey Kramer Talk - (it's worth looking at before reading on and only takes three minutes to watch).

While I don't necessarily share 100% of her feelings, I was struck by much of what she said as she went through her talk - phrases like "bring your family together"; "reconnect with friends & acquaintances"; "re-calibrate what's most important in your life"; "challenged, inspired, motivated, humbled". I felt like she was taking the words out of my mouth, and still had no idea exactly what she was talking about.

You can imagine how stunned I was when she revealed what she was talking about. I thought it was a courageous and moving talk and just thought I'd share it.

Treatment this week (8/35 radiation 'zaps' and 10 days of chemo) has continued to go well. I've felt no additional side effects other than tiredness, and my blood tests are coming back with good results (liver & kidneys coping well), so I'm happy about that.

Anna and I just enjoyed home-made pizzas and movie night with the boys - the perfect way to end the week.
Until next time.

(If you're interested, my favourite talk so far on TED is by Benjamin Zander, on music and passion - here.)

7 comments:

  1. ive not watched yet as in work but will take a look tonight so 8 down 27 to go, lets hope you dont get any other side effects
    so i take it all will be done for xmas as far as the radiotherapy goes
    things here have been a little up and down however nothing compared to your situation
    i swear i could not have made this year up with stuff that has gone one for us as well as close friends its been a horrible year (dont think i have ever said that about a whole year before)
    hopefully the luck will change for next year and everyone can say what a fab year 2011 is
    just a little taster of weekend and reflection on what 2010 has been like, mark was on his way to sit his class 1 hgv test on saturday, hit a piece of metal that was left on carriageway, sent my car up in air a little, (he was totally fine which is great) when it hit the road again caused some damage, and put a big hole in floor of car. He then did his test, oh yes and failed it so the experience has now cost and extra £520 if i did not laugh about it i would go mad, so the xmas fund is a little short now :-)
    apart from that things are great
    well better go, will catch ya soon
    luv to all
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched the video talk(more than once)and can see clearly how you can relate to it. I got a lump in my throat when I imagined you doing the same thing - I know you could do it just as well, if not better - it's just a shame that Stacey Kramer is better-looking, but then she was probably also a "lemon on sticks" at some stage!.(I know I don't normally "go public" but I would encourage your band of loyal followers to view it and comment). Thanks for sharing it.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol - I'm sorry to hear about Mark, the car, the test, etc. Try to focus a little on the positives too though...healthy, happy kids; you starting your new job; getting qualified; I'm sure that, on balance, 2010 wasn't all bad.
    Still, we too are hoping for good things for all in 2011.

    Henry - thanks for your comments. TED are asking me ALL THE TIME to give a talk - I'm just choosy! When I lose the fat face and 'lemon on sticks' look, I'll call them back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that is totally amazing. If you didn't already have Anna, I'd say you should marry that woman!! It's incredible how much positive energy can come out of ANY... ANY! situation.
    Love it!!
    Have to admit that your "it's worth looking at before reading on" sentence was enough to make me read on without having seen it yet... sorry! I proceeded to watch it 3 days later...

    Rachael
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bazza could not have put into context better myself
    Hope things still going well with no side effects and that 2011 is your year
    carol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new Apple TV let's you stream podcasts including the TED shows. They are all posted free to anyone. I'm a big fan of those. If I need 30 minutes to spike my thinking, I'll scroll through the TED podcasts and watch a few. There is also a TED iPad app.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey bruv, sorry this is a little late, I was browsing through your blog again, I love to see the comments a few days after you have posted and decided j
    must leave a comment of my own.
    The talk by Stacey is the TED talk I've 'enjoyed' the most, although I love the music one you like too! I've seen so many speakers at various cancer research events, many are very very moving and equally inspirational but Stacey's approach is very different and sooo powerful! Her sentiments are spot on though and I agree wholeheartedly, from a sister's point of view that is.
    Thank you for sharing this, I hope it's ok with you, I think I'll share the link with those who Relay. Maybe you will be our speaker at our Relay sometime!!
    Sorry it took me so long, better late than never!!
    Love and super special hugs for you Baz, love you
    masha xxx

    ReplyDelete