Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Flying

Just a short post on an amazing experience this last weekend. I have a friend who has a small, single-prop airplane, and we've been talking about taking a flight together for the last couple of years and just haven't got around to it. So, on Sunday we made the effort and Daniel took another friend and me on a great flight over the lake, the house, and then down to Red Wing, a small town about 60 miles from here. We were able to take a courtesy car from the airport, nip into town for coffee and cake, and then jump back into the plane to head home. It was a crisp, clear autumn day and Minnesota looked beautiful from above.

We flew back closer to the twin cities and it was fascinating listening in to the air traffic control conversations with the other planes, especially as we flew closer to the international airport.

Big thanks to Daniel for a great experience and to Andrew for hanging out with us and buying the coffees!

No new treatment news, although the radiation therapy is starting to affect my hair. It's not falling out as such, so no need to go for the fully-shaved look yet, but there is a big gap around the radiation target spot. I think I'll get by for a little while longer on a combination of comb-over and baseball caps!

One of the (steroid-induced) benefits of waking up at stupid o'clock in the morning is that I get to see the beautiful sunrises over the lake...

3 comments:

  1. How cool is that to spend a lazy Sunday up in the air. You can actually listen to air traffic control and police radios over the internet. Some people have powerful radio receivers at home. They pick up the singles and stream them on the web. Google and you’ll find many. I think there are even apps for the iPhone that let you listen in on those. Something I’ve done when I’m bored :). Always reading your updates, thanks for sharing. Niels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years back Alison and I went up in a Piper Cherokee flown by a mate who was taking his pilots licence.

    We flew from Blackpool Airport over the Pennines then back down the coast over Blackpool, the views were terrific (perhaps not as spectacular as Minnesota but you can't have everything) and it was so weird that we seemed to be going so slow you almost felt you were not moving at times.

    As for waking up at stupid o'clock, wait until you get to my age and it just comes naturally even if you don't want it.

    Good to hear all is going well with the teatment.

    Keep up the blogging and good luck to the Toon for the weekend game.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my better Sundays in MN. Thanks again Daniel for helping me work through my acrophobia fears! I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete