Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mayo Clinic

Anna and I drove down to the Mayo Clinic on Wednesday afternoon. It's only a couple of hours south of here but we wanted to leave enough time to have dinner and get to bed early enough for the 5.30am start the next day. We went for a very good Italian meal, (I'm enjoying my last few opportunities to have wine as I'll be tee-total from Monday), and really enjoyed some quality time together.

The clinic itself is very impressive, unlike any other hospital Anna or I have ever been to. I had some blood tests first thing and then we had a 45-minute consultation with one of the oncology doctors. As I said before, the main reason to visit with Mayo was to get a second opinion on the treatment plan, but also to get more information on clinical trials for other treatments, should I need that option down the road.

There was one change that came out of the visit. When I had the first MRI scan that revealed the tumour in early September, there was another lesion at the rear of my head that showed up on the scan. The doctors couldn't say exactly what it was. The initial treatment plan proposed to target the radiotherapy at the primary tumour site and monitor the other one over the coming months. But, in consultation with one of the Mayo oncology professors, a neurosurgeon, and a neurologist, they suggested that it makes sense to target the radiotherapy on this rear lesion as part of the current treatment. As the chemotherapy is blood-born, it will target the rear lesion anyway. The Mayo team have since contacted the local team to make that proposal.

I'll be honest, it has been a tough few days. Every time we hear the doctors talk about this type of tumour (glioblastoma multiforme), and the poor prognosis that typically comes with it, there are some low moments that follow. Perhaps just having had more time to ourselves over the past few days has allowed us to process some of the information and made us realise what we're up against. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but I do want this blog to be authentic.

All of that said, we are still mindful of the factors going in our favour...my age, general fitness, the successful surgery, and excellent medical care. And we keep coming across different stories of people who have survived (19 years and counting, one guy we heard about yesterday) this kind of tumour. I just have to look for a moment at my beautiful family to find the strength and courage to fight this thing head-on. On Monday the fight begins...I'm ready.

It's funny how you don't necessarily think of yourself as a stubborn, strong-willed person as you go through normal life, but the number of people who have told me lately that those are the traits that are going to get me through this is starting to make me wonder! My boss told me to take it as a compliment, so I will for now and channel them into the next few months. (Please feel free to tell me to reign in the stubborness when I get back to work though, eh!)

I just want to end on a word of thanks to our close friend, Carla - she stayed overnight with the boys while Anna and I went down to the Mayo, and it was such a good feeling to know that the boys were not just in good hands, but having great fun (and pickles for breakfast!). Thank you Carla.

(Sunset from Cádiz)
I'm attaching a photograph that a kind friend from Seville sent yesterday with a note that touched our hearts - muchas gracias Pepi!!

8 comments:

  1. No mother ever wants to hear that her precious son is going through such a traumatic time as this, especially when she and the rest of the family are several thousand miles away! However, knowing the strength of character you have and having watched the way you have built your career and your own lovely family is what is giving us the hope that if anyone can fight this Barry you can! I am praying that this treatment works for you and I will be there in spirit with you on Monday, holding your hand at the bedside as I have done before when you were a child. I love you son. Go on, see it off! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stubborn geordies - never come across any of them before....!!!

    We are sending you all our love and thinking of you as you go through your treatment, knowing you are in the best place and receiving fantastic care. None of us can really imagine what it must be like for you and Anna at the moment (and indeed your familys back at home), but it sounds like you are facing what lies ahead with true determination and courage.

    It has been lovely to see the photos of the boys, what a change. I hope that they haven´t become too american! My lot were all playing rugby last Saturday up at Montjuic and Angus (aged 5) when asked by one of the other little boys where he came from, replied proudly, "Barcelona!" My mother would be horrified!!

    Sending you, Anna and the boys all our love.
    Catherine, Mark (another very stubborn geordie!), Alexander, Ollie and Angus xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- I think this is the first post I haven't read twice. Your blog, like you, goes from strength to strength, and I think your writing would impress our dear old English teacher! Tremendous!
    Now for some reflections from your sister on the topic of stubborness...my rabbit did NOT sit on your guinea pig,it was YOU who filled up the shampoo bottle with water and everytime I hear Frankie Goes to Hollywood I smile, smugly, remembering my victory when Dad made you hand over the tape after rowing about it for hours! Hehe!! I'm guessing the trait runs in the family!!
    Now as for tomorrow, well all I think is that the treatment is now in charge, and combined with your strength of character and back up from the rest of us, you go into this in the best possible way!
    In reply to Catherine's post- the boys are the cutest American Englishmen you ever did meet! I am one proud Auntie!!
    Sending much love and superstrong Geordie positive wishes,
    love ya kidda,
    Michelle xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow have to agree with Michelle i had to re read this a couple of times, to be honest keep goin back to all your blogs, they are really inspirational.
    sorry i missed you today, i was too late with the phone call i guess
    stuborn you, really no surely not ;-)
    i know what your mum means about being so far away, but one thing i guess is that you have the best treatment available where you are and for that we are all thankful
    im loving the stories that michelle is sharing with us, there must be others that you could both share with us, come on you know you want to
    well bazzarooney, all our thoughts are with you as you begin this journey, and know you can do this, i guess its the most dificult thing you have had to face but we all know you are not afraid of hard work
    so keep strong, keep positive, fight this and beat it
    will speak to you soon
    loads oflove, positive vibes and best wishes for the full recovery we know you will achieve
    from
    Carol Mark Jordan and Jessica
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the positive thoughts and comments (both here on the blog and those of you who have sent them directly in emails) - they are a source of strength, truly.
    Carol - always one for the gossip. Honestly, there aren't that many stories. Michelle and I grew up in complete harmony and barely remember fighting or arguing. Just don't ask how she chipped her tooth! It's funny that she brings up the Frankie tape as that just reflects badly on her. I bought a tape, she had a ticket to go and see them and the next thing I know, I don't have my tape anymore. Anyway, all a long time ago.
    Catherine - it's great to hear about the boys in Barcelona. Please keep those updates coming. It'd be great one day to get the boys back together and see how they've all changed. Obviously there's an open invitation for you all to visit us here. We'd love to have you all over and there's lots of space.
    Well, a busy day tomorrow so I should probably get to bed. Goodnight all. Barry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange how people think single mindedness and being right most of the time is being stubborn, it happens to the best of us.

    Looks like your lot were the victims of some poor decisions at Eastlands, I think the referee's first name was Homer.

    Took at trip to Martin Mere yesterday, if Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun, then Insane Irishmen go out in the pouring rain. I only saw two other people as I walked around and one of them worked there. Even the ducks didn't look happy with the weather.

    Stay stubborn

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle made me think back and I thought you might like to remember the holiday camp holidays! Packing didn't just mean a case full of clothes but included crepe paper, Sellotape, string, balloons and the odd wig or two! Yes it was the fancy dress competition, with Michelle dressed as a tomato and you as a leek. At least you didn't have to have a green face. Bet you were glad you weren't the tomato!! Your best one was the theme of the moment "don't drink and drive" where you made a superb accident victim. Michelle also looked great wrapped in tin foil making a great mermaid. Finish this off with you Dad as Quasi Modo and we had it sewn up - literally! Happy days and don't go saying you didn't enjoy it! Funny how I did all the dressing up of you lot but didn't participate myself. I don't know about stubborn but you are a great sport. Love lots. Mam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should say love you lots. I am proud of you and sending lots of positive vibes to bring you back to full health. Love Mam xxx

    ReplyDelete