Saturday, September 25, 2010

Strength-building...

A few days on and I continue to feel a little better every day. We went to the hospital yesterday for some occupational health tests - to check that my cognitive functions had returned to where they should be (they were way off in the first few days after surgery, which was quite disconcerting). The test results were very positive and the therapist saw no need to book any further sessions. So, after a week of sudoku, word-searches and other puzzles, the iPad has pretty much paid for itself. I just need to keep working on some short-term memory stuff and I should be pretty much back where I was. So, after a week of sudoku, word-searches and other puzzles, the iPad has pretty much paid for itself, (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist! Ok, not that short term!)

I'm trying to do a little more each day in terms of getting stronger. Despite my steroid-fueled appetite, I haven't quite returned to my normal weight, but I'm also conscious that I don't just want to add weight in all the wrong places. So, today we went for a great walk in one of the local regional parks. I think a good hour of walking and lots of fresh air did me the world of good. My Dad says I still walk too fast, so I'm going to take that as a good sign!



Coming up this week we have an overnight visit to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. For those of you not familiar with it, this is one of the US' leading teaching hospitals and we're so fortunate to have it just a couple of hours away from here. At this stage, we're going for a second opinion on the proposed treatment plan, and also to get a foot in the door in case we need their help further down the line with other potential treatments.

I start the combined radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment next Monday. The radiotherapy will run for approximately six weeks and I'll take a pill-form chemotherapy at the same time. Then there'll be a period of increased-dosage chemotherapy only, (I'm not exactly sure how long at the moment). There'll be testing and monitoring performed throughout to see how it's going. This is the current best standard of care to treat this kind of cancer and, from what the doctors are saying, Anna and I are optimistic that as many factors as possible are in our favour.

Thanks again for all of your comments and messages of support. A good friend brought some Guinness home yesterday, so I'll keep working on the strength-giving properties of that and my recently-extended reading list! Until next time, much love.

7 comments:

  1. Barry,

    Your cognitive functions are obviously pretty spot on, your blog updates are so detailed and informative (and amusing in places). I love reading them. Your positive outlook will take you far. You look amazing on the photos, so well and happy. Anna quite obviously loves your new headgear so had to get some for herself!!

    Those boys are just sooo cool, I love them to bits.

    Keep the improvment going,

    Lots of love,

    Helen et al xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barry,

    Great to see you out and about with Anna and the boys. Hope all goes well at the Mayo clinic.

    I'm sure the Guiness is helping lots and looks like the ipad was a great investment!

    Take care
    Donna
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to hear that all is going so well. I know what your Dad means as I had to march pretty quick to keep up with you last week! With everyone's positive thoughts and the Guiness to fortify you hopefully you will keep on going from strength to strength. Will talk to you soon. Love you so much son. Mam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. had to laugh about the walking, that is so you, i remember in the ukraine when we were on the audit when we were all trying to find out way back in the snow, you were marching on like a soldier on a mission, god knows how i did not end up on my backside
    great to hear things going well
    it was good to chat to anna the other day, hopefully i will catch you between naps soon
    take it easy
    catch ya
    carol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, with all the things to read out there, you make an easy choice to come here first. Great photos, and apparently auditing requires some first rate narrative skills. We all appreciate the updates. Wait...I live alone. Well, I think they're great. Look forward to hearing more. Positive vibrations...

    Cheers mate,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. my 2nd try for comments from sunday.x..you said you wanted to be in a conversation not just a monologue so heres some news from this end.. jennys just gone to florida on yet another of her 7 holidays a year ! and garry had an engine failure mid flight on his little plane but was able to land manchester safety - the sun is shining and we are off work today, your situation has made a lot of people stop and think of what we have and appreciate it..im taking mum to martinmere wildlife centre for a nice stroll and look at the swans and other birds together...i dont think il walk as fast as you did with your dad, her health wouldnt let me for a start - but then why would i want to..we should enjoy the time together and ...the hoovering and washing can wait...thanks for this lesson in "be happy with what you have, enjoy while we can" - i hope the hospital went well for you all today xx lacey....

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey bazzarooney, about time you get on ya blog again, think you have people waiting
    hopefully all went well at the clinic, good luck for tomorrow as i think you start your treatment
    will call you over the weekend to see how things are going
    speak soon
    carol mark and the 2 rugrats
    xx

    ReplyDelete