Saturday, September 18, 2010

Better sleeping (or calmer books!)

Thanks to all of you for the comments and encouragement after the first post the other day. I'm continuing to feel a little stronger every day, enjoying all the extra food that the steroids force (!) me to eat, and trying to fit in a little light exercise each day. Newcastle's win over Everton today didn't do the spirit any harm either!!

One of the main side-effects of the steroids is that I don't sleep right through the night, so I'm getting plenty of midnight reading done. The thing I've had to improve though, is the intensity of my reading material. I was in the middle of 'Angela's Ashes' when I went into hospital and stupidly continued to read it in the first few days post-surgery.

It's an excellent book, telling the moving story of Frank McCourt's childhood during 1930s and 1940s Limerick, Ireland. Much of the narrative focuses on the day-to-day struggle of the family to find sufficient food and clothing, especially as Frank's father was an alcoholic who either couldn't hold down a job or drank his wages on the way home each week. The problem for me was that my mind was not the most settled and I had a number of weird dream sequences of wanting to go back in time to give food and clothes to the McCourt children or wanting to create some kind of home for them here on the lake. It was all very bizarre and probably not ideal recovery reading.

Next up was Lance Armstrong's outstanding autobiography 'It's not about the bike', chronicling his comeback from testicular cancer at the age of 25 and his subsequent seven tour-de-France wins. It's an incredibly inspiring story and I took a lot of positive energy and ideas from it, but again, I'm not sure it was the most settled reading for my sleeplesss nights.

So, last night, armed with a saucer of lavender oil and a copy of Elizabeth Hay's 'Late Nights on Air', I enjoyed a much more settled sleep. It's a novel set in a radio station in the northern Canadian town of Yellowknife and, although it sounds odd, the words just seemed to fall off the page into my mind, without making a sound.

I guess I'll work on this for the next couple of nights, but it's definitely a step in the right direction. All other calming book recommendations warmly received.

14 comments:

  1. A note from the wife!
    Just a quick one to Barry's readers to say that he is going from strength to strength - his recovery from surgery is incredible!
    Also, just had to elaborate on the Angela's Ashes side effects! Barry had me totally freaked out when one morning, mid-conversation, he asked me, "How's the camp?", expecting me to give a breakdown on the development of his lakeside home for 1930's Irish kids! I'm not sure how long it was before he realised such a place did not really exist...or how he felt when he did realise!
    Here's hoping the lavender oil makes for some calmer nights!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, your blog is calming for my mind, what a perfect nightcap to my day. Thanks for being so generous with your thoughts. I also think it's pretty cool that you wanted to help those Irish kids. If you do build a camp on the lake, I want to be in charge of campfire songs! Sweet dreams tonight. Carla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always just start extending the tree fort lol. Then it could be a camp for family members too stay in when visiting. I can just imagine everyone coming flying down the zip line like Richard does. I hope all the positive thoughts being sent from the Uk help you as well.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry, good to hear you're out and about, and that the reading material is heading in the right direction too. I absolutely loved your comment about the words dropping off the page into your mind - I think Elizabeth Hay would be delighted with that thought!
    Here's to snoozier nights, with lots of love from your less well-read sister
    Love you
    Michelle xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. hhhmm recommendations welcomed not sure I am the right one to recommend books, I have to go with Michelle as another less well read friend :) And dont read any books Mark may recommend as you may never sleep again
    Fantastic to hear you are gaining strength each day, keep it going this is what your readers want to hear
    And your team beat the Blues what a result that had to have put a bigger smile on your face, and have to admit it made me smile although probably no fun to you as you could not sleep when I read about you wanting to help the kids in the book, so typical of you eh
    well bazzarooney will leave it there for now
    take care
    luv to you
    carol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barry - I had no idea that you were having surgery until today, I will follow your progress and, being Catholic - in the wake of the Pope's controversial visit - will offer a few prayers for your speedy progress back to full health.
    On the subject of light/calming reading (although you may have already read them) how about the Chris Stewart books? I have finished Driving over Lemons and am now coming to the end of A Parrot in the Pepper tree. Easy reading and set in Andalucia too!
    Speak soon
    Cath Lx

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey bazza - ive also read angelas ashes mate and it was probably not the lightest one to start with...! - i dont read that much, and as you know - all my books are too mindful anyway.. except adrian mole aged 13 and half..haha..maybe that one will give a few simple smiles ..have a good day lacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. great to hear that you are doing better and welcome to the midnight reading :-). A couple of suggestions for you, maybe you already read them, but here are a few: The Red Tent (Anita Diamant); The House of Spirit (Isabel Allende); Pigs in Heaven (Barbara Kingsolver); and maybe if you feel like controversial thinking The End of Racism (Dinesh D'Souza). Let me know if you want to borrow the books as I have them at home. Thinking of you, Anna and boys.
    Gisselle.
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't recommend any books from Vince Flynn (my favorite author) then or you would be up all night fighting the bad guys as a CIA black ops. Glad to hear you haven't lost your British sense of humor. Great to hear your getting better and better! Let me know when your ready for a caipirinha and I'll come over to make you one!

    Greg H.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barry,
    I've been laughing about this post all day. It's incredible, and so well written that I almost feel you should be the one writing rather than looking for books to read. The way you explain your experiences is genius, almost reminds me of author Tim Parks - some light reading there you may enjoy at this time (eg. Italian Neighbours which may remind you of your time here in St.Cugat).

    Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us, and keep up the brilliant recovery.

    Love from us all,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Barry, I have really enjoyed a couple of books that I read by Donald Miller. The two I read were "Through Painted Deserts" - a funny story about a couple of buddies that road trip across the US in a VW van. The second one is called "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years". Another humorous and inspirational book.

    Take care,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barry -
    We just wanted to let you know that we are here for you - Whether that means break'in out the guitar for some cheap thrill songs for non-existent Irish kids - or if we need to bring 'Whiskey Night' to you !

    Daniel, Alejandra, Isabella & Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Rachael is on to something there- we don't have a writer in the family, so why not?
    I'm also liking Pete's suggestions- everyone would love to do a road trip across America in a campervan!!
    Looking forward to your next post- how is Flat Eric these days?
    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You once recommended "The Road" to me and if I ever hear the words "grey", "dark" and "ash" ,so often repeated in the novel, I scream first and then think of you, Anna and the boys. I gave up on reading it but not on thinking about you, Anna and the boys. I've read Angela's Ashes (didn't think it was as depressing as the aforementioned)but I have a preference for the less modern authors both English & American. I'd recommend Trollope (Anthony),Arnold Bennet, Steinbeck, Hemmingway, Graham Greene, and many more that I read way back then (and still do in preference to "modern" novelists). But then, what do I know? It's great to read your blog - I did try to post a comment to your first post and failed,

    Henry

    ReplyDelete