Sunday, October 10, 2010

OUCH!

On Thursday morning we had an appointment with the surgeon to check over the scar again and he quickly decided that the best way to clear up the infection was to re-open the scar, clean it out with an antibiotic flush (very strange sensation!) and re-stitch it. He also wanted to be absolutely sure that there was no infection to the bone underneath where the titanium plates have been fixed.

Anyway, to keep a short operation story short, I was into surgery within a couple of hours, they performed it under local anaesthetic (which meant I felt everything) and I was out within about forty minutes. I have to say that the incredible care I had from one of the nurses got me through the pain of the surgery - she kept reminding me to deep breathe and squeeze her hands as hard as possible ("I've never lost a hand doing this, so squeeze tight"). I won't forget her. Afterwards, the surgeon was happy that we'd done it and said that everything looked good underneath. Despite the discomfort, (I think) I'm happy we did it too.

(I know what you're thinking...titanium plates...how cool...makes me think of the 'Six Million Dollar Man'!!)

I'm now on a course of IV antibiotics for two weeks, so that's the earliest that the radiotherapy and chemotherapy will re-start.

An interesting side note on the IV drip....I came home from hospital connected to a small IV pump, which dispensed the appropriate amount of antibiotic every eight hours into a picc line in my arm. Patrick was pretty freaked out by the whole thing and doesn't even want to see it, whereas Richard is completely fascinated and wants to see exactly where the line goes into my arm, where it goes afterwards, what does it feel like? etc etc. They're funny.
Actually, the pump was a complete pain as it had to go everywhere with me, so today they switched it out so that Nurse Anna can just push in a syringe of meds every eight hours. Much better.

This weekend the weather has been beautiful and today we were able to take the boat across to our friends' place for lunch - Sunday roast with beef and yorkshire puddings - perfect! (Thanks Steve and Colette!)

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him"

8 comments:

  1. would like to say i am not old enough to remember this guy but alas we all know i am
    great to chat to you at the weekend mate, the blogs are fantastic but its always good to talk
    how posh are you taking the boat to friends, we got a taxi to ours :-)
    keep taking the tablets the next 2 weeks will fly by
    catch ya
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. For us you're a 600 million dollar man. Sad to read that you had to go through surgery again. I can see that you're in good hands with your personnal dedicated nurse Nurse at home. Take care. Xavier

    PS: Because you're English, I'm sure you will enjoy the last joke that a Dutch guy told me. I was talking about trading with him and he asked me why Dutch are good at trading. It's because they work with the French ... They buy the French for what they're worth and resell them for what they think they're worth! Though crowd here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Baz! I didn't realize they had to send you home with hardware attached. That's funny how Patrick and Richard responded differently. I'm a bit like Patrick. I really admire how you can tolerate such a surgery under local anethesia. You do have Scottish blood I hear! I'm glad the surgeon takes special care to get everything right. 6 million dollar man! (at which exchange rate?)

    Mary, Daniel and Terri went horseback riding to get over their jet lag. I took photos and sent them off with a wave (prefer my feet on the ground, although they are lovely animals). I miss the Mongans! Speak to you soon.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blog...love that the scar issue is allowing you to take full enjoyment of the mild fall...love that your entire family will soon be answering questions on mymd.com with all the medicinal knowledge they're accruing on this journey.....but really really love that you have clearly conveyed a willingness to sport a white leisure suit and sideburns as big as those of American icon Lee Majors when you're back on your feet!!!!!!

    Stay up amigo

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barry!

    I know that I haven't had a chance to really talk to you a great deal, but I have been reading the blog religiously :) You have an art for words that really draws me in and I feel like I am hearing them directly from you. I am glad to hear that you are doing fine and I know you are very strong willed...in my opinion, that will get you very far! I have been in your shoes (in most senses) and hearing your story brings back a great deal of memories for me...the surguries, the steriods, the scars, VERY expensive drugs, and even the pic line! One day I will share my experiences with you if you would like. Fortunately, I am out of the woods for the most part and many people don't know my journey...but it was a turning point that changed my point forever. Stay strong my friend...I will call you soon...I would love to come over and spend some time with you and the familiy when you are feeling up to it.

    Your friend and fellow Australia traveler,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey kidda!!
    Just a short note to let you know I'm still checking on your blog regularly even though things are not moving as you would like and you don't have do much to tell us! It's always good to read your friends' responses too- Michael's is lovely. Images of you in a White leisure suit are fun to imagine... And I have the added advantage of having witnessed your fashion faux pas' over the years..the purple outfit being a personal fave!
    Missing you an awful lot, sending lots and lots of love from big sis
    Masha xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey bazza,i bet that 2nd surgery was really one you could have done without mate..im glad anna is able to help with the meds tho - i met with carol for lunch on friday and she told me about the boys reaction as i hadnt had chance to read properly. they are funny and i guess it shows how different they are really as well.. kids are resiliant though arnet they.. your friend michaels reply is nice and it must have been hard for him to go through an experience and not to have been able to share it with so many others - at least you should find comfort in the fact that you are definitely NOT tackling this alone.. everyone around you...and not so closely around you...are all in this with you...as you say...youre under repair but we know you will be good as new afterwards - ttfn..lacey x

    ReplyDelete