Monday, June 27, 2011

The best use of time

I'm often asked (as I'm sure many cancer patients are), "has your perspective on life changed?". The short answer is 'yes, of course' but I'd like to clarify a little. Probably the main thing that I've given a lot of thought to is the use of time.

I suppose when time is precious, which it is for all of us, how we spend it comes into sharper focus. For example, the back of our garage has needed cleaning and tidying for weeks, but as long as the boys want to play a game or kick a ball around, it'll wait. The amount of time spent watching mindless TV has been drastically cut; books that don't grab me in the first 100 pages are cast aside; and I've taken a long, hard look at my social media intake. In fact, dear readers, it was touch and go whether the blog would be continued - unfortunately for you, it will be!

I remember a conversation I had many years ago with a close friend and we asked each other, "How would you change your life if you'd been given the all clear from cancer?". I never thought then that I would really have to make those changes, but here we are. My priorities now are now family time, living healthily, and making the most of free time - from coaching soccer to relaxing with a good book and a glass of wine. I'm also fortunate to have a job that I love, so no changes needed there.

All of this makes me wonder...why have I waited until now to make these mindful choices?

I'm very happy to report that today I achieved one of the goals that I set in this post - to be up on the wakeboard by the end of July!

I'll finish with a couple of shots of the boys from this weekend, using their time well!


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you've chosen to continue your blog! I enjoy the insights and the photos you choose to complement your writings. Congrats on getting up on the wakeboard! - CarlaE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your willingness to continue sharing your journey. Kelly J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words of wisdom and great attitude....keep blogging and keep getting better - Karim

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual oh wise one great words that I am sure touch many of your readers as it touches me. I wonder how many of us actually think right thats it I need to change TODAY.... Well MR M after reading this blog I am going to ensure we do more as a family starting this weekend (god they will wonder whats hit them :-) )
    well my friend I hope the treatment does not knock you too much and that you can keep practicing your wakeboard skills
    Keep the fight going you are amazin
    Speak soon
    Carol
    xx

    ReplyDelete