Monday, July 25, 2011

Managing Energy

Sorry about the lack of posts lately. I guess there just hasn't been much to report (medically) and too much good stuff going on to spend time blogging. That's good though, right?

A lot of people have told me how well I look recently which has made me think a lot about people's perceptions and expectations of cancer; and how I'm managing my own treatment program.

While there are aspects of the treatment that are no fun (chemo stomach cramps, hair loss, sore scalp, etc.) I'm trying to focus more on managing energy than on controlling (or complaining about) side-effects. 

One thing I'm really happy about is that I've been able to work throughout the first four of these six and a half weeks of radiation/chemotherapy. I really only expected to last a couple of weeks and then take medical leave and now I'm hoping to just work through the whole thing. The one thing I've done to help is take a couple of Fridays as vacation to give me long weekends.

I've also tried to keep up with cycling and yoga (and napping) as much as possible to keep the energy reserves topped up. I don't always feel like it beforehand, but I'm always glad I did afterwards.

I've been asked a few times what's been different this time compared to the October/November treatments. I think the main differences are the faster recovery from the second surgery and the fact that I worked hard to get in shape before the surgery and up until this round of radiation.

One thing I do know...I have never felt as alive as I did last night watching U2, leaping around in the torrential rain to 'Elevation' - what a blast!

Here's my favourite photograph from the night...


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping us updated Barry, we care!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did forget however, to mentiion you had no time to fit in taking phone calls LOL.
    Great news that you are stronger this time around and that you are managing as much as possible to keep doing all the normal things and things you enjoy (truly inspirational)
    Keep up the good work we are still all behind you 110%
    Loads of love to you, Anna and the boys
    Carol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A note from the wife....

    Barry is awesome! Ha! I know I'm biased but I never cease to be blown away by how well Barry is coping with everything he is going through. This is a rough ride but somehow he is toughing it out. Every minute counts and Barry is truly using those minutes to positive effect; whether that be riding his bike (for 19 miles...even if that was a result of losing his way), playing with the boys or getting out on the boat. Managing his energy is crucial and Barry has truly found that, if he does that effectively, he can continue to work and play! Seriously, he works all day, goes for radiation, comes home to nap for a bit and then he's good to go for the evening. I know he has the unpleasant side effects but he has chosen not to dwell on those...so neither will I. I'm sure there is a lesson in here somewhere - something about dealing with the negative moments in life in a way that allows us to focus on the positive.

    I knew there was a reason I married this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say...as much as I loved the amazing close-up view we got of U2 (yes, we were in the inner circle...wahaay!), my favourite image of the night was Barry jumping around wildly to 'Elevation' (and many other U2 hits) - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah okay - I see now why you referenced your blog post when I told you that you look so great the other day. Other encounters we've had have showed me your discipline for positive thinking. I love that I can see you at work so much, and I think you're incredible like everyone else. So! Seeing Bono's butt in leather pants is the absolute highlight of my year, thanks for including me!! That really was something special from beginning to end. Anna and I nearly jumping out of our skin during the "bridge serenade". It makes me laugh just thinking about it. xoxo. -Carla

    ReplyDelete