Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Another trip to Mayo

Anna and I met with the oncologist yesterday to discuss the treatment plan now that I'm nearly finished the six week course of antibiotics. The trouble is there is a difference of opinion between the pathologist at the University of Minnesota (an expert in the field, apparently) and my neurosurgeon on the type of tumour removed during the last surgery. The pathology results suggested that it was glioblastoma multiforme (like the first tumour, a grade IV) but the surgeon and my oncologist believe that it hasn't shown the characteristics of that type (e.g. aggressive growth and change in shape). So, our medical team here believe that the best course of action is to get a second opinion from the experts at the Mayo Clinic (I wrote about Mayo here). Apparently they have some additional tests they can perform and different stains that they can apply to the pathology slides to reveal different things. I'm travelling down there next Friday. Hopefully, when I return I'll know which type of tumour it was and what the subsequent treatment plan will be.

I was extremely happy to get back to work at the beginning of last week, much quicker than any of us expected. I was able to quickly taper off the steroids and pain relief drugs and even managed to grow a little hair back before returning to the office.

I'll finish with a couple of photographs from a great memorial day weekend. Friday was 'Super Team Day' at the boys' school with lots of running, jumping, and (a definite highlight) a tug of war.


On Saturday we went with a group of friends from work to kayak around one of the lakes in uptown Minneapolis, although the 'kayaking' quickly turned into pedal-boating once the boys saw what was available for hire!

We rounded off the weekend with friends over for lunch, a bike ride for the guys, and a boat ride for everyone. Fun, food, and friends - perfect!

1 comment:

  1. He Barry, finally somebody who´s happy to get back to work

    All the Best!

    Ad

    ReplyDelete