Tuesday, May 17, 2011

PICC Chick


Medical update
I've continued to recover well over the past couple of weeks, gradually sleeping less during the day and rebuilding my energy levels. The insomnia that I had after the first surgery has returned due to going back onto steroids, although I've already started to taper those so hopefully I'll be back to normal sleeping in a week or so. I'm three weeks (out of six) into the antibiotics which have done a great job of healing up the scar infection and now I have a longer picc line, I can self-administer the treatment.

Nurse Anna was almost redundant for a little while there, so I decided to shake things up a bit by weed-whipping (strimming) part of our garden, causing a bleed from the picc line coming out of my arm - oops! The on-call nurse came out and re-dressed it but unfortunately she kinked the line and so I couldn't push the antibiotics through, which I normally do just before bed. So, we got her back on the phone (much less 'on call' at midnight, it seems!) and had her talk Anna through how to re-dress the line (not as simple as it sounds). It all worked though and I'm looking into getting this t-shirt for Anna...



Other news
Some of you will have noticed that since my diagnosis I have been wearing a Livestrong wristband. I learned that today is the seventh anniversary of the launch of the wristband (by seven-times tour-de-France winner, Lance Armstrong) and apparently over 80 million have been sold in support of this great organisation.
Why do I wear one? Firstly to show support for and solidarity with other cancer patients, but it also acts as a daily reminder to stay strong and live each moment with energy and purpose.

I think the manifesto they created is incredibly powerful:

The Livestrong Manifesto:

We believe in life.
Your life.
We believe in living every minute of it with every ounce of your being.
And that you must not let cancer take control of it.
We believe in energy: channeled and fierce.
We believe in focus: getting smart and living strong.
Unity is strength. Knowledge is power. Attitude is everything.
This is LIVESTRONG.


I mentioned last time that the bike decision was almost made and here is my new ride...
I went for a first ride yesterday and, although it was less than an hour, I was exceptionally happy being back on two wheels, enjoying the sunshine and the lakeside views. Bliss!

Finally, a book recommendation (for those of you that appreciate them). Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. An outstanding novel, set mostly in Ethiopia and chronicling the lives of twin brothers born to an Indian nun and an English surgeon. I won't go into any more details, but this book has gone straight into my top 5 books of all time. Quite unforgettable.

Hasta la proxima!

3 comments:

  1. A note from the PICC Chick....just want to point out that re-dressing the line involves an open vein, (yes, leading straight to the heart - meaning everything must be kept ultra-sterile), nerves about pulling the whole thing out and incurring a visit to the ER (at 1am with 2 sleeping kids), clips, pads etc etc... a little higher stress than changing a band aid for example! I'm happy to return to redundancy - although it looks like I might be re-assigned to chief weed-whipper...I believe there is a vacancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps. I just woke up from a seven hour sleep for the first time in three weeks....Mmmmmm!
    (I will miss that 'still of the night' reading time though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg when did u let those nails grow, i have to say mr m they do not suit you and they must play havoc when you get itchy in strange places
    wow amazing you were on the bike for so long considering the last few weeks, i went for 1/2 the other day and it nearly killed me :)
    so you may be back to work next week you must be mad lol
    well my friend keep it going in the right way you are doing great, and well done anna on doing such a great job stepping up to the mark when you needed to sounds horrible :)
    luv to all
    carol

    ReplyDelete