Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Post-surgery (and a new bike!)

I think most of you have had updates on my most recent surgery.

I really did try to 'live-blog' but it just went something like this...

11:05 skull removed
11:14 tumour resection
11:30 latte
12:30 lunch
13:00 hair styling conference
13:30 side-parting discussion
14:00 more side-parting discussion
15:34 side-parting direction decided
15:35 close-up

There was one slightly interesting technique used by the surgeon this time to ensure that he was operating within a safe margin of tolerance around the second lesion. Apparently sensors were attached to parts of my brain to ensure that he could see when my right hand (for example) was being stimulated. Fascinating stuff and a big relief to come into the ICU with no after-effects of the surgery.

Yesterday we had some preliminary results back from pathology on the secondary tumour, suggesting that it was either a grade II or III glioma. The surgeon is now in contact with a number of other neuro-surgeons and oncologists and they are working out an action plan for further treatment. The main issue will probably be that I'll need further radiation therapy as well as completing the original course of chemo.

Fortunately, the surgeon was also able to reopen the original scar and perform an antibiotic flush to ensure that that there was definitely no infection to that site. Further tests have shown that the infection just didn't properly clear up as we had hoped and I've now started another six-week course of picc-line antibiotics to get that dealt with. All under the wonderful care of Nurse Anna.

Bike news - I'm pretty much down to a choice of two bikes for my 40th birthday present from Anna (it might just arrive a little early!). Now I just need some decent weather and a training plan.
Until next time - big hugs.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear that things are going well after the surgery :) I hope the full recovery won't take too long. Sending you lots of positive energy from Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not your birthday yet, I thought it was September or have I got that wrong
    Thanks for the stage by stage account of the surgery, I am glad I have had lunch though.
    Are the results of the second lesion what you expected? I guess the lemon on sticks could be back again then eh ;-)
    Have you managed to get out on the boat yet?
    omg what a whimp you have taken all this surgery on the chin and you are not prepared to go out on your bike if the weather is not good, come on bazza get a grip mate
    on that note i had better go
    as always luv to all, take care
    speak to you soon
    carol
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have a sept birthday, but given that we have six months of hard winter around here, thought I might advance my treat a little bit. I didn't realize people would be, you know, fact-checking and splitting heirs etc!
    The results probably are what we expected, I guess we just hadn't mentally prepared for more radiation therapy.
    The 'lemon on sticks' look may make a short comeback, but I'm going to try harder to control it this time. Learning what we learned about tapering steroids last time will help. I'm hoping to have 'operation bikini' in full swing by June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. god just like the queen eh 2 birthdays .... at my age even one is far too many now i think at this tender age it should be every 2 years :-)
    i guess its no fun having to face more radiation but you have done it before and you can do it again but i can understand it must be a bit of blow hearing you had to go through that again, but keep up the good work my friend we are all behind you

    operaton bikini - not sure the world is ready for that bazzarooney, but if u do make sure u post the pics on face book we all need cheering up from time to time ha ha
    will give you a call this week
    take it easy

    carol
    x

    ReplyDelete