Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ready for surgery II

After a slight blip last week when it looked like the surgery couldn't go ahead this week (my platelets were low again following last month's chemo), we got the go-ahead today for Wednesday. Surgery is at 11am and will take around four hours.


A few people have asked how I'm feeling about this surgery, whether I'm nervous etc. I can honestly say that I'm less nervous than last time. I think having been through it once (fearing that brain surgery might affect my personality, intelligence, coordination, or whatever) and made a good recovery, I feel like the same must be possible this time. Also, I think that last time much of the anxiety was caused simply by learning that I had a brain tumour and suffering the symptoms that went with it.


We also have great faith in the excellent medical team that we're surrounded by, especially the surgeon himself. We've often said that he's probably not your perfect Saturday night dinner guest, but he's passionate and knowledgeable about brains and has explained in great detail what he's going to try to achieve.


All of that said, I know it's still a major operation and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid.


One of the blogs I follow is written by an American guy who has lived in Japan for many years and often comments about aspects of Japanese culture. He mentioned a proverb this week that resonated with me, given the ups and downs of the last few months.


"Nana korobi ya oki" which means 'fall down seven times, get up eight' and speaks to the Japanese concept of resilience. No matter how many times you get knocked down, you get up again.


This approach has brought us this far and will continue to sustain us in the months ahead.


Thanks for all of your support, prayers, and good wishes. One of the greatest sources of strength for Anna and I these last few months has been the feeling that all of our friends and family are behind us. We deeply appreciate it.


I floated the idea of 'live-blogging' the surgery with Anna, but she said I might be a little bit out of it. I'll be back just as soon as I can. Until then, take care and have fun!

6 comments:

  1. Luv that proverb I cant believe you find all these quotes :-) anyway bazza good luck for tomorrow, I know you dont need it as your fighting spirit will take you through this.
    I am sure you are in so many thoughts tomorrow and everyone is willing you to get back to health soon so you can blog away again :)
    Best wishes mate for a speedy recovery, we are all behind you
    "The Rich's"
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry,just want to let you know that we are all thinking about you here.With such a positive attitude I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

    Love from

    Hugh and Agnes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey - if your surgeon is as positive as you then its sure youre a winner..il say a lil prayer tonight - god bless. and see you on the other side - the laces xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry and Family,

    Our thoughts are with you as you go through this surgery. Continued prayers for a healthy recovery.

    Betsy & Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi guys!! Sending you love, support, and hugs. Barry you really are blessed argon excellent surgeon and quality care. I'll be waiting for good news from Anna and looking forward to seeing you soon. (no ice cream when I visit this time?). Resilience! Remember you have that stubborn Scottish blood in you. Hang in there tomorrow.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will keep you in my prayers. You are in good hands and hopefully your recovery will be quick. Keep us posted! Sending lots of positive energy and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete