Saturday, April 2, 2011

Medical update

Blogs like buses...you wait ages for a post and then two come along at once!

I returned to the hospital this week for some tests and consultations and received mixed results.
First, the good news...an MRI scan showed no changes in either of the lesion sites. That means there are no signs of regrowth on the original tumour site and there has been no change to the shape or size of the second lesion.
An EEG test showed that I'm having absence seizures, which the neurologist believes could be coming from the second lesion. Absence seizures don't normally cause outward signs, so we haven't noticed them (although it might explain why I drift off sometimes when Anna is talking about running gadgets!). I've been put on an increased dose of anti-seizure medication, possibly long-term, to prevent more serious seizures.

The scar infection that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago hasn't quite cleared up and the surgeon is still suggesting that he operate to take out that section of of skull. He is basically saying that because we took out a piece of skull and then bombarded the area with radiation, the bone didn't have a chance to heal, and now due to the chemo my immune system is too low to fight off an infection. As I pushed back a little, he agreed to try and treat with stronger antibiotics for a couple of weeks and see if it clears up. However, I am starting to come round to the idea that the surgery and subsequent reconstruction may be the way to go. The operations would be a few weeks apart and I'd have to wear a helmet in the interim.

To be honest, I started to get a little down the other day about these further complications and the fact that the other lesion still hangs in the background. A long drive cleared my head and it comes down to this: I have one goal in this thing...to live as long as possible. It's as simple as that. So whatever it takes, whatever surgeries I need to have, whatever nasty drugs I need to take, I'll do it. I'm not trying to appear 'brave', I just don't see an alternative.

6 comments:

  1. As always , I have to read your posts as couple of times, and this one is no different. Its a lot to get your head round, if you pardon the pun, and I don't blame you for your initial feelings. You'll tackle this bravely like everything else and it's fine to be 'brave'!! I'm sure the nurses are gearing up for 'cute English guy' being back in their care!
    Love both posts, looking forward to the next!!
    Lots of love
    Big sis xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg my good friend you are so entitled to your downtime, you amaze me and many others in how you get through all what you have had to face and deal with it as you have. i know i speak for so many when i say i am in total awe of you and anna as you both just attack this in the way you do
    You need your down times thats normal but you keep going with your positive thoughts of fighting this and we are all behind you 110%.
    hopefully the surgery wont be necessary and you will clear the infection with the pills.
    so as always we are all thinking of you this side of the pond and sending positive thoughts
    lets hope ya next blog is able to report you dont need surgery
    keep fighting bazza we are all behind you
    loads of love to you, anna, patch and richard
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that sounds like a reasonable goal for any of us to have, whatever our health
    backgrounds. Perhaps we should all take a drive from time to time, take a good
    look at our lives, and choose just that path - to make the very best of what we
    have, and always aim for the most positive option, whatever our situation.
    Because what could seem like an ideal situation may not end up being, and vice
    versa. Barry, you don't have an alternative, but many people who do, don't
    necessarily take that right path.
    Barry, you're my idol!!!!! (after Anna!)
    Rachael
    + Lots of love from the lads xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops sorry forgot to sign off (2nd comment)

    twas me carol what a dope
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good blogs as ever, informative and thought provoking. There but for the grace of God etc...

    No doubt Newcastle's demolition of Wolves at the weekend helped lift the spirits

    Keep smiling

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barry. Just catching up on your posts. You know you have such a way of expressing your thoughts in exactly the right way. Thank you for bringing us along on your journey. You will always have my 100% support. Take care and let's roll up our sleeves for this next surgery so we can get you back on that wakeboard!! Hugs to you and Anna. -Carla. PS I miss the boys!

    ReplyDelete