Monday, January 30, 2012

Notes From a Survivor


Wow! Where to begin...???

A year and five months since my diagnosis, my neurosurgeon told me today that last Friday's MRI scan was all clear. As I write the words, they just don't seem big enough. What he actually said was "your scan looks wonderful", which from him is quite a statement. He was brutally honest when giving us tough news, so it was quite refreshing to hear him use those words.

I couldn't do a thing at work this afternoon. My boss sent me home to be with Anna and the boys. Nothing I would do at work would be as important as sharing this sense of relief and happiness with them.

Here's my sister, Michelle, and Anna and me, celebrating on both sides of the Atlantic.


I guess the sense of relief was heightened because we had to wait over the weekend for the results and, although we didn't talk about it much, it was in the back of our minds the whole weekend. It feels like the start of life getting back to normal. I've been so frustrated having to tell the boys that I couldn't play a game because I was too tired during chemo week, and missing out on Patrick's basketball tournaments because I couldn't get out of bed. I've mentioned before that I can't wait to get back to travelling too. Although that'll feel strange for all of us at first, it will also be a visible signal to the boys that life is getting back to normal.

Somebody once said "it's not work when you love what you're doing". That's how I feel about getting back to overseas projects. That's what I signed up for. I work with an amazing, diverse group of colleagues; we get to travel together to interesting places, learn from each other and learn from the people we're visiting; we get to experience a little of the culture in those places, try the food, and drink whatever the locals drink; and all of this while trying to help Cargill be a better organisation. I can't overstate how satisfying it is and how much I'm going to enjoy getting back to it.

I'll still complete the February round of chemo, then give my blood a month or so to recover and hopefully be on the road in April.

All of that said, we're still keeping our feet on the ground. We know that the grade of tumour I had was very aggressive and I was fighting it in two places. In my mind that just makes me more determined than ever to follow my own advice on eating well and exercising (link).

With that in mind, my next challenge is to complete the MS150 - a two-day, 150-mile bike-ride from Duluth to Minneapolis, all in aid of Multiple Sclerosis. More to come on that.

With regard to the future of the blog, I think I'm done with talking about my cancer journey. I found it really beneficial to write down how I've been feeling, how this journey has affected Anna and the boys, the painful and the peculiar aspects, and how we tried to deal with it all. The support and comments I've had through the blog have been truly touching. Thank you, sincerely, to all of you who read, commented, and supported all of us throughout it all. We couldn't have come this far without you.

Big hugs

41 comments:

  1. This is indeed great news....I'm very happy for you. Cheers.
    Karim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant news. I am made up for all of you. Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best news ever, well done Barry! you are a proper Super Hero and you can now really enjoy your fabulous wife and family. Enjoy!! XXXXXXX GILL XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill. I always wanted to be called a super hero! Let's talk soon.

      Delete
  4. tremendous news mate. Bet u are all over the moon. Im really pleased for all of you. Onward & upward fella, best get yr travel nighty & hair net out of storage then...back 2 travelling amigo! Big hugs.

    craig x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cant tell you what this latest blog means to me and so many of your family and friends we all knew that you could do it and im sure Anna and the boys had so much to do with it will email you

    fanbloodytastic

    carol

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. You're absolutely right about Anna and the boys - MY inspiration!
      (Still looking for a keyboard with punctuation marks then?)

      Delete
    2. I bet you were looking for a way of putting little yellow notes all over it go on admit it you did didn't you lol and another response without a punctuation mark ha ha

      Carol x

      Delete
  6. Well done mate, and well done Anna. Gotta admit, you're both a real inspiration. All the best from Hereford. Al/Phil

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you this is wonderful news! Your strength and determination throughout this whole time has been inspirational.
    Take care Jo James and Matthew Hurst xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome news, We are so happy for you, Anna and the boys. We are looking forward to having you here in Brussels once you can travel again. Xavier & Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you two. As soon as I find an excuse (I mean, reason) to come, I'll be there.

      Delete
  9. What a road traveled!! I am SOOO happy to hear this news. Many, Many more sunsets together. Julie Sotak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I like that - many more sunsets together. :-)

      Delete
  10. Excellent. Amazing. Fab. Words just aren't enough.
    We're so happy for you all. You've been incredible throughout, this really was the only possible outcome.
    R&J, A&A
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about finding the words. I felt like that when I wrote the post. It's been quite a journey. Thanks for sharing it with us.

      Delete
  11. Bloody fantastic news Baz - amazing. I am so so pleased for you, Anna and the boys. You have been incredibly brave and strong throughout but what has stood out the most, is your fantastic spirit, determination and humour. May 2012 bring you and your family all you dream of. Take care and be happy. Lots of love Gayle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle. I think 2012 is going to be great!
      Big hugs

      Delete
  12. Fantastic news Barry, congrats to you and the family.I blv a little bit more, and each year i get older, that a positive mental attitude goes a long way in beating this kind of thing...and you,ve certainly had that. keep up the blog...you read remarkably well for a bean counter :)))
    John P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John. I think there's a compliment in there somewhere!

      Delete
  13. Bruno come back at home this evening with a good wine and we shared a glass for you! We are so very happy and we hope the 2012 will be more happyness in Morgan family. Kisses for you, Anna, Richard and Patrick. Valerie GC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to celebrate. Wish you were all still here to share one with you. You were a great support to us throughout. Big hugs

      Delete
  14. I was so overwhelmed by the news last night Barry because I wasn't expecting any news until the last chemo was over! I rang your Grandma to tell her and She was overjoyed too. We are all so proud of you and all the previous comments above say it all. You are one very special son with an extra special wife and two amazing boys. It will be wonderful for you all to put this behind you. Can't wait to see you to replace that virtual hug with a real one! Love you so much. Hugs and kisses for you all. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all a little overwhelmed. I'm glad Grandma was happy too.
      We're looking forward to seeing you too. Lots of love

      Delete
  15. well i have tears in eyes reading this last blog..knowing what journey you have completed..along with the family and friends who have been on your side all the way.. i am very very happy to hear this news and hope you continue to "get back to normal"..inspirational is an understatement..we wish you all the best of luck in the world..xxxx The laces xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lacey. When's that reunion? I'd love to celebrate with the gang.

      Delete
  16. Very very very very stoked to hear Barry. Fantastic news, very inspirational. Couldn't be happier for you and the fam. I'd toast my glass to you but damn the bottle is empty already again. Kidding, cheers, and Abby and I look forward to sharing a bottle with you and Anna soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Man. I hope you know how important our chats were. And I'll never forget your generous offer - is it too late to take it up?
      We're looking forward to sharing a nice red with you and Abby.

      Delete
  17. We are all absolutely delighted to hear your terrific news. Nobody deserves it more than you! You have all been so strong and positive throughout the whole ordeal that this outcome is not surprising. Hope your recovery continues even faster. All the best to you, Anna and the boys.

    Love Hugh and Agnes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hugh and Agnes. It took a while but we got there in the end.

      Delete
  18. Fantastic News - I've been following your blog and keeping my fingers crossed. Your journey has been truely inspirational and i wish you all the health and happiness for the future. I hope its not too long before we meet and share a beer again. All my very best to your amazing family. Steve Hipgrave and Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve and Sandra. I hope you guys are all well. When we get back to the UK, we'll get that beer (or three!).
      By the way, who's Stan Kavach?

      Delete
  19. Muy buenas noticias, Barry!!!! Me alegro de corazón por ti y tu familia! Espero que vengas pronto por Europa, quizás una Auditoría por Alemania o unas vacaciones en el mejor pueblo del mundo ( Guardamar)!:-) Disfruta tu vuelta a la normalidad y que todo os vaya bien! Besos Veronica, Stephan y Leo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Vero. De verdad, necesitamos una auditoria en Alemania - he oido que los contables no son tan buenos!
      Estaremos en contacto. Un abrazo muy fuerte.

      Delete
  20. Wow.........what fantastic news !! What a team!!!! An inspiration to us all. Unfortunately Andy is travelling at the mo so I am cracking open a bottle and whilst supping this evening on my own will toast you and your familys good health ...hic!
    FANTASTIC!!

    The Wilkos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate (and Andy) - It makes us happy to know that you're celebrating our style.
      Take care.

      Delete