Thursday, December 30, 2010

Some positive news...

Just a quick post to get this news out...

I had an MRI this morning and a consult with the neurosurgeon this afternoon. In short, the lesion at the back of my head hasn't changed shape or density since the October scan, so he didn't see an immediate need to operate or biopsy. What a relief - I really wasn't looking forward to the whole surgery experience again.

The plan now is to continue with the six months of chemo for the original tumour site and perform another scan in three months time to monitor for changes on the second lesion. So, although I'm conscious that we're not out of the woods yet, it feels like a positive start to the new year.

Another piece of good news the surgeon gave us was that I should be ok to start driving again, (we were led to believe that I couldn't drive for six months from the date of surgery). That's been one of the most frustrating things about the last four months - relying on others to go anywhere, when I felt perfectly capable of driving myself. We're going to call the licensing office tomorrow and, all being well, I'll be causing havoc on Minnesota roads by the weekend.
(Anna has got all sorts of crazy ideas about me driving Patrick to his 8am Sunday hockey games - we'll see!!)

Not having surgery also means that I can start working again, at least in some limited way (yes, I hear all your jokes..."didn't he always work in a limited way?"). The new chemo regime starts on January 10th, so we'll see this month how much it affects me and how much I can work. I'm certainly ready for it - there's only so much Judge Judy one can take!!

Happy new year to you all
Love & best wishes

13 comments:

  1. Great news! I m happy n will send more blessings your way. Have a great new year. Mike, Gisselle, Gabriella and Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news and a really good start to the New Year - love to all
    Cath Lxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. just what i wanted to hear fanbloodytastic news keep it coming
    much luv to you all speak to you over the weekend
    carol
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a relief Barry and we are all delighted here. Great to start 2011 on such a positive note! Let's hope the good news keeps coming. I know how keen you are to get working again and being able to drive too is the icing on the cake to give you your independence back. Love you lots. Mam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Family:

    Thank you so much fot these good news.
    My best whises and dreams for all of you.
    Love and kisses.
    Pepi Bobis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your very encouraging news, Barry. Hope you have a great New Year. Love to all.

    Hugh and Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that things are looking good. It is a good start into the new year. I hope the next year brings a lots more positive and great news. Hang in there!
    All the best wishes and a Happy New Year for you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear all seems positive

    Here's to a much better New Year

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. great news indeed! our blessings and positive thinking. XXX, Gisselle, Mike, Gabriella and Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic news. Wishing you all the best in the new year.
    EO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had to mention yesterday's result, normally it is us that sufferr such embarassment

    At least you can now concentrate on the League

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barry,
    All the best for tomorrow and the days to follow, during the chemo.
    God be with you all.
    Love Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a way to start the new year, great news Barry!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete