Sunday, December 5, 2010

Psychoneuroimmunology (and other everyday words)

I know it's been a little while since the last post. Am I losing my readership? Tap Tap - is anyone out there? Oh well, I'll carry on regardless. Here are some updates on the last couple of weeks:

Treatment - Radiation therapy will be finished next Friday, and I'm ready for it! I really notice on the weekend days that I don't have it, how much it tires me on the weekdays that I do. It's also made my scalp sore and my hair fall out. (Grumble grumble.) The current dose of chemotherapy will end next Friday too; I get a couple of weeks off for good behaviour! The chemo will restart at a higher dose in January and run for six months.

On December 30th we have an appointment with the surgeon to discuss whether he will perform further surgery on the rear of my brain. (Remember from this post that there is a second lesion, but until a biopsy is performed they don't know exactly what it is.) Any surgery would probably take place during the first week of Jan.

Needless to say, we're really looking forward to Christmas. This is the first year that we'll have spent it here in the US and, although we'll miss our families, we're looking forward to lots of relaxing family time and perhaps a little cross-country skiing.

Another story of hope - On Friday one of the volunteers at the radiation centre, Tom, introduced himself to Anna and me and told us his story. He was diagnosed six years ago with the same type of tumour as me and today his MRI scans show him to be tumour-free. The main difference is that they were only able to remove 20% of his tumour during surgery (as opposed to the removal of the entire visible tumour in my case), so the remainder had to be treated with radiation and chemotherapy. Coincidentally, he also had a scar infection which prevented him starting treatment for seven weeks, during which time the tumour grew from 3cm to 7cm. The incredible part of the story is that the chemotherapy alone then shrank the tumour away to nothing and he was eventually given the all-clear.

Now, I know that for every survivor story like this one there are many others who aren't so fortunate, but Anna and I were really encouraged by the effect of the chemotherapy on such an aggressive tumour.

Positive thinking - A few of you have commented about my keeping a positive attitude throughout this journey. Well, I've been reading about a branch of science called Psychoneuroimmunology (it trips off the tongue, doesn't it?!) - let's call it PNI. Basically, PNI studies the connections between your mind and your immune system and there is increasing evidence that each affects the other. A sense of helplessness, for example, can suppress your immune system, while a sense of purpose can enhance it. I’ve oversimplified, but you get the point: your mind does control your immune response. There's lots more research to be done, but it's one more reason to stay positive.

Thanksgiving - One of my favourite holidays. We started very slowly with a late breakfast and lots of relaxing, followed by sledging with the boys (see video below). We rounded off with a wonderful dinner with our friends, David and Colleen, with double helpings of everything - perfect!

14 comments:

  1. great news about finishing the radiation next oops this week now i take it.
    fantastic that you have spoken to fellow patient who has nothing but positive news, come on bazza i know you can top that :)
    hows your shape these days are you getting back to normal or are you still like a lemon on sticks, now come on they are not my words before anyone (especially ya mam) has a pop at me, i am only quoting the consultants phrase :)
    Not much to report this part of the world, preparations as usual in my house for xmas is slow and will no doubt be last minute
    Bit of a bugger that you may need surgery in Jan but at lease xmas will be out of the way so you can all enjoy that without the disruption of another op, keep us posted as soon as you find out if you have to have another op
    Well bazzarooney best go and do some work
    Keep fighting, keep positive and keep us updated
    Luv to you all
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey fella
    so pleased yv finished the radiation. bet you're looking forward to santa coming. i love the video clip, nice to hear your girly laugh amigo!

    I like yr PNI ditty, you are so right, the mind effects your healing, and you mocked Reiki...shame on you...lol.

    fight the good fight mate,

    stay strong

    big hugs

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear things are still going well with the treatment

    Not so good to see Chris Hughton get the sack, what is Mike Ashley playing at. Any idiot can see that the clubs who do best are those with stability in the Managerial Team (Arsenal, Utd, Everton, Birmingham etc) or vast amounts of money (Chelsea, Man City) and even they have their ups and downs. MA doesn't seem to have the latter and doesn't seem to want the former.

    13 managers in 13 years must be some kind of record.

    Still Liverpool at home on Saturday shouldn't be a problem.

    Keep the posts going, they are always informative with the likes of psychoneuro whatever, which strangely enough I've always believed in even though I never knew there was a word for it.

    Paddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Barry, we're all there and following your blog - there are quite a number of people who check for updates. I still say that a reminder to folk that you've posted something might elicit more response. Anyway,I loved your latest addition - it was great to hear you laugh so heartily as I did at Rich's performance on the sledge. And that video of his opening the school concert - need I say more!

    I thought about psychoneuroimmunlogy and your abbreviation - really, though it's classed now as "new" ,isn't it "mind over matter" which has always been with us and can be easily given the acronym of "MOM"? I did think about PSNI rather that PNI, but that would probably confuse one of your followers! I wonder who will pick that one up?

    I'm glad that you'll have a break from the therapy over xmas - just a shame we won't see you- but it was good to hear about the volunteer, Tom, and his recovery-you've got a better starting point.

    All the best, kid,

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even as a small girl, I was always CERTAIN that my mind could cure (almost) anything. Seriously, I used to hate telling my parents if I felt sick, even if it meant a day off school, I had a kind of phobia (of coming down with anything), to the extent that I'd feel wierd and not tell a soul! I didn't need medicine, I just "convinced" myself out of it. While this may be a little more complicated in your case, I am still a firm believer in PNI, whether or not it has any strong scientific background! I know it works!!
    You're already proof of that, and you'll continue to be.
    By the way, I also strongly believe in the powers of the lake! Another theory to mull over...
    Big hug from us all,
    Rachael & Jaume

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi bazza, great to read the update today, when its not there i wonder how you are doing and rather than push for more blog entry i think that no news is good news in fact.. so iv been proven right ! the video is a nice moment in time shot...the long science word..well im also a believer in that - jens phsycology at uni is kicking in proper now, the house is full of ologies and science of the brain between the two of us here, lacey doesnt stand a chance hehe....so im happy that its helping you. the story of the blog today is great, it must be good to get some reassurance that things can and have been a good outcome in such a similar case...no reason why it shouldnt for you.. have a relaxing time over xmas and enjoy more than anythin...luv till next time..lacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Psychoneuroimmunology...it's great that you are staying positive, keep on!
    I hope everything is going well and you are looking forward to CHristmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Carol - the 'lemon on sticks' look is slowly going as I taper off the steroids - thank goodness. V-shape and six-pack are on their way back!
    Craig - I never did mock reiki - I thought it was very relaxing. It was you I was mocking!
    Paddy - yes, I was upset about Hughton going, but our win over Liverpool helped (sorry Carol!). As the saying goes...'the king is dead, long live the king'.
    Henry - Anna normally sends out a note to let people know that the blog has been updated, but she's been slacking of late! And you lost me on PSNI.
    Rach - that's just weird - a kid who didn't want to take a day off school lest she admit that she was sick! On the other hand, maybe that's why you're so smart!
    Lacey - you're right - there were no updates as there wasn't much to say. Thanks for your Christmas wishes. I hope you all have a great time too.
    Magda - you had me puzzled for a little while there. I had to go to your blog to find out who Max was. Then my Polish was put to the test to read it! Anyway, best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy - take care. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Barry
    Just read your blog, so by this time you will have finished with the chemo and steroids as well.We are delighted to hear that you are doing so well and I was very interested to hear your comments on psychoneuroimmunology. I was always a firm believer in positive thinking.
    We were in Dallas for Thanksgiing last year and I must say I never enjoyed anything so much. It was just like having two Christmases! Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and that everything goes well in the New Year. Love to all of you.
    Hugh and Agnes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barry. I'm so happy to read that the chemo and steroids are getting to an end and that you keep your positive thinking. You, Anna and the boys were in our thoughts for Thanksgiving. We also celebrated it with some American friends here even if it was difficult to find a 20 pound turkey in Belgium !!! Take care. Xavier and Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barry

    We've never met but dad has been keeping me updated with your progress and I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well. I also am a big believer of positive mental attitude breeding positive outcomes.
    We hope you and Anna and the boys have a lovely Christmas and that 2011 is a great year for all of you. Love Agnes (jnr) & Colin xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi,
    i keep reading and re-reading the blogs. many blessings for you and your family.
    gisela

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey its bee a while since we heard from you hope things are going ok
    hoping to meet wilko, stu bev and rich for lunch next week its ages since ive seen them
    i take it the boys are excited and cant wait for santa to come
    well better go hope to read something from you soon
    luv to you, anna and the boys
    carol
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barry - just catching up on the blog. The story about Tom the cancer survivor - WOW. What a huge ray of hope to hear a personal testimony like that. I think it says a lot about him that he continues to volunteer and help others who can benefit from his experience. I also believe in the power of positive thinking and keeping perspective on things. Thanks for the reminder. Well, I had better go enjoy Florida for the last day before heading back to the frozen tundra (speaking of perspective!!). Talk to you soon. -Carla

    ReplyDelete